St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Hastings
Accepting all people, striving for compassion,
seeking to live out Christ’s selfless love
until we see God’s justice realised
Place OF WORK St Andrews Presbyterian Church, 300 Market St, Hastings
Hours of Work 12 hours per week 9am-12pm Tuesday – Friday
RATE OF PAY $22.75 per hour
Reports To Church Minister for day-to-day matters Finance and Property Member Finance and Property is under the oversight of the Parish Council
Working Relationships Internal Minister, finance and property committee, treasurer, parish clerk, parish council, Cook Islands secretary, parishioners.
External People who hire our hall and church buildings Funeral Directors People in need who approach the church
THE PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
• As the Receptionist you are key in demonstrating the manaakitanga of St Andrews
• During the week you will provide a warm welcome for all who engage with our church, whether that be in person, by phone or email.
• There will be some administrative tasks
• You will be responsible for ensuring that the building is kept in a clean and tidy condition.
KEY QUALITIES AND SKILLS
• A people person, skilled at making people feel welcome
• Skilled at communicating with all sectors of the church and community
• Able to motivate and work well with volunteers
• Reliable, energetic, outgoing personality with a sense of humour
• Has a caring, helpful nature
• Has good time management
• Able to multi-task if necessary
• Capable of determining their work routine necessary to get jobs completed in a timely manner
• Recognises the need for confidentiality
• Has a high level of written and verbal communication skills
• Competent in key administrative tasks
• Familiarity with standard IT software
• Is willing to learn and take on other tasks as required
• Demonstrates good self-care and self-awareness practices
• Appreciates the need for keeping all parts of the building clean, tidy and welcoming
• Has an understanding of a faith-based community and is committed to the mission of St Andrews
• Reception and Administration
• Volunteer Co-ordination
• General Caretaking
Key Responsibilities Deliverables/outcomes
• You are the welcoming face to all who enter the St Andrews church building: directing people, answering inquiries and attending to their requests
• Respond to phone calls and emails within a timely warm manner.
• Respond compassionately to people who come to the church in need
• Liaise with building hirers about their hiring needs.
• Host a weekly morning tea for allcomers
• Coordinate verger, organist and flowers for funerals
• Handle church enquiries, whether by phone, email or in person
• Coordinate church and hall booking, instructions and contracts for hirers
• Maintain an efficient and effective system of records,
communications and correspondence
• Monitor security of keys and codes for all users of the building
• Ensure that the church complies with, and accurate records are kept, for music copyright licensing.
• Collect and open church mail and distribute or action as appropriate.
• Liaise with the minister on pastoral matters
• Liaise with the minister, music/worship leaders to prepare the weekly service sheet, music sheets
• Format and print the two monthly church newsletter, the annual book of reports and other occasional documents.
• Coordinate the preparation, printing and collation of the annual church directory.
• Produce Church rosters for elder duty, door duty, flower roster and lawn mowing duty.
• Collect, compile and print the annual report
• While the major clean is carried out by the cleaner, you will keep a watchful eye to ensure that the facilities look good throughout the week, and tidying when necessary.
• Oversee the recycling for the building.
• Maintain cleaning materials, toilet rolls and paper towels in the church and the hall.
• Alert the finance and property committee of any maintenance issues.
• Organize the opening and locking for events.
• Check security, cleanliness and breakages after events.
• Ensure Health and Safety policies are adhered too, including covid precautions
• Any other duties as directed by the convenor of the finance and property committee or church minister • In negotiation with you, there may be small aspects of the role that can be carried out by a volunteer with you acting as overseer and still taking responsibility.